12 October 2014

I've moved...

Things have been a bit quiet here for sometime, but there's a really good reason for that. We've moved. To another country. On the other side of the world. 

We've moved from my beloved Sydney to a small country town in Germany! No, I don't speak German, but I'm learning, and being immersed in the language now will help. 

We moved here for my husband's work. It's all very exciting and daunting, but there's been so much organising and packing and stuff to do that my family history research had to go on the back burner.

So, I'm not sure what moving here will mean for my family history research. I'm no longer able to visit Australian archives, but we're also quite close to some important places from my family history - the closest being Mulhouse in France, where my Weiss ancestors are from. I can't wait to take a trip over there to visit the Mulhouse city archives and have a dig around for information on Gaspard Weiss and his relatives. 

I'd also love to visit the part of the Rhein Valley where my Beringer ancestors are from, close to Frankfurt and Weisbaden. 

I'm not sure that we will have much opportunity to travel to the UK at all, but if we do, I would love to spend days in the UK archives. 

So that's what's been happening with me, and we'll see how I go with my family history research here!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new adventure Prue...challenging when you also have to learn the language. I hope you get some great genealogy opportunities..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauleen. And here's hoping I'll learn so much about German genealogical research that I might be of some help to you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Prue, I haven't been keeping up with your blogs as regularly as I used to, so was really surprised to note here that you had made the move to live in Germany. Learning the language must be a real challenge. I find your writings very interesting, especially when they relate to the Beringers. How are you settling in your new home? All the best for the future, and I hope that the move is a positive one for you. Edna (Kirkby - daughter of Dorothea Hilda Hogan, nee Beringer)

    ReplyDelete